2006 was the inaugural year for the Sie Lurye Memorial Sponsorship Grant, and we are pleased it is being offered again for 2007. The "Sie" is to be an annual minimum award of $500.00, and is open to any junior drum corps participant in the USA with a financial need, regardless of position marched.
Sie Lurye believed that every child deserves the opportunity to develop his/her promise and potential, and that one caring individual could make a difference. His was a heart that beat not only for "His" kids and corps, but for Drum Corps itself. Today the Royal Airs and the Lurye family carry on the Royal Air tradition of giving back to the community, and following the credo of "Faith, Honor, and Humility" set down by this generous and selfless man, by establishing the Sie Lurye Memorial Sponsorship Grant in his name.
To be considered, an applicant must:
1. Be a member in good standing of a junior drum & bugle corps in the USA.
2. Demonstrate respect and enthusiasm for drum corps activity.
3. Maintain at least a "C" average in their schoolwork.
4. Demonstrate financial need.
5. Complete and submit a short application, by November 15, 2005.
6. Submit a brief essay (no more than 250 words) describing why the applicant should be considered for this grant.
Recipient(s) will be notified by letter on or before February 16, 2005.
Recipients are considered by a committee comprised of Royal Airs alumnus, marching members (representing horns, percussion, and guard), and a member of the Lurye family.
For information on contributing to the Sie Lurye Memorial Scholarship Fund, or to request an application, please email the Sie Lurye Memorial Grant Fund Chairperson, Scott Jameson.
The Luyre scholarship application form can be found on the Download Page.